Spooky Spine Poetry Contest
This Halloween-themed contest is open to anyone with a Scugog Public Library card who would like to showcase their creative talents as a poet. The challenge: write a poem using only the words found on the spines of books!
Step One: Create Your Poem!
- You can enter up to three (3) different poems.
- You can be any age to participate.
- You can work by yourself, as a team, or with family members.
- You can use any books that you want! It doesn’t have to be books that you’ve read, and you can use books from the library or books from your own collection at home.
- Try to use books that have spines which are easy to read.
- Try to use no more than 10 books for your poem.
- Your poem should be original. Please do not re-create a poem that someone else has written.
- Make it spooky! This is a Halloween-themed contest, so poems about ghosts, witches, and other eerie things are totally what we are looking for…. But please keep it appropriate!
- Check out this video to learn How To Write Book Spine Poetry.
Step Two: Send us your poem by October 22nd!
For each poem that you are entering, send us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your email should include:
- A very clear photo of your spine poem.
- Your Name, Age (or all the names and ages of you and your team)
- Your Library Card Number
- A typed-out version of your poem.
Your email entry must be sent to us before 6:00pm on Thursday, October 22nd, 2020.
Watch for your poem to be displayed on the library’s Facebook Page starting October 23rd, 2020. Like and Share with your family and friends. (likes and shares will not factor into the judging process)
The Grand Prize will be announced on Saturday, October 31st as part of the library’s online Halloween festivities.
HAVE FUN AND BE CREATIVE!!